6 WORDPRESS MAINTENANCE SERVICES CLIENTS LOVE
1. WORDPRESS BACKUPS
Sometimes, people’s reliance on technology can be their downfall. Take, for example, the recent AWS outage, which caused a day full of headaches for companies hosting their data centers on Amazon, and their clients, who were all forced to find alternative ways to get things done that they had previously taken for granted.
Because of this, and for many other reasons (like security), it’s important to be constantly backing up all files tied to online properties. Though there are a number of plugins that can take care of this, they can be confusing to configure for a non-technical person.
As part of our continued maintenance of a WordPress website, we offer to setup and facilitate WordPress backup – daily, weekly, or whatever makes sense for the nature of the website, and how often it’s updated. As a best practice, maintain 3 backups of the website (files and database) in different locations – both locally, and in the cloud, your Dropbox, your Google Drive, our own Dropbox.
2. WORDPRESS SECURITY
We will defend your website from hackers, we continuously perform manual checks. After a client’s WordPress website is setup, our first maintenance package include factors like:
- Updating all software to their latest versions (WordPress, themes, plugins, etc.) and fixing any errors that may result from updates.
- Installing plugins like Login LockDown, which limits the number of times someone can login your site.
- Installing WordPress security plugins like Wordfence, which is a popular/free/premium version plugin that initiates comprehensive security checks, including firewall, blocking, malware scans & login attempts.
Our monthly WordPress maintenance retainer package includes regular scans for security issues, then proposed fixes.
3. WORDPRESS UPDATES
It’s a best practice to always install the latest version of WordPress, then update the themes & plugins (in that order). Plugins are often updated by their developers to keep up with the latest WordPress updates, and hackers can use outdated plugins as an entry point to breach your site.
Additionally, we check plugins every once in awhile, and delete those not currently being used by the client, to reduce potential security breach issues.
4. DATABASE MAINTENANCE
The larger the website, the more information it stores, and the larger the database. If not regularly attended to and periodically cleaned out, a database gets slower – which can then result in slow page load.
Maintaining the database helps it run more smoothly. One of the components of our retainer for WordPress maintenance services includes a regular database refresh. We install plugins like WP-Sweep or WP-Optimize, and clean up spam comments – that unnecessarily take up storage space.
5. WEBSITE HEALTH & FUNCTIONALITY
Website health problems include slow loading pages, broken links, and site downtime. They might seem like minor issues compared to the whole, but can have a negative effect on user experience. Google Analytics and Google Webmaster Tools we install and can help to check website metrics, for preventive action. My WordPress Health Check is another plugin that may be useful in identifying issues.
Periodically we test and fix these user experience issues as part of our WordPress maintenance services (especially after major design changes, or new page additions):
- Check browser compatibility & functionality (especially after design changes)
- Test contact forms
- Check 404 errors/dead or broken links (Dead Link Checker is a useful tool)
- Measure page speed (when properly configured, a caching plugin like W3 Total Cache can help)
- Conduct or review usability data through tools like Inspectlet, or User Testing
6. CONTENT CHANGES AND SEO
Even though WordPress is incredibly user-friendly compared to many other CMSes, some clients either can’t wrap their heads around it, or just don’t have time to deal with it. Since small changes are the most common asks from clients to web developers, we offer 1+ hours each month towards content changes., at £45 per hour.
We offer SEO help with content, and website structure/technical considerations. We can configure an SEO plugin like RankMath which will help your website rank highly in Google search results.
Unmaintained website will:
- Run slower than ideal (increased page loading time)
- Get hacked easier
- Have a lower ranking in search